Monday, September 25, 2006

No to Paper Ballots This Time

I like his blog but think that MocoPolitics has gone astray with his recommendation that the state follow Ehrlich's idea (now there are two words you don't see linked often) of dumping the voting machines at the last minute and replacing them with paper ballots. I understand the allure of this approach. It sounds so simple. Just print more absentee ballots and hand 'em out on Election Day to registered voters. Unfortunately, as I explain in more detail at Maryland Politics Watch, it's not so easy. Indeed, it would be impossible to implement the needed changes and retrain all of the poll workers by Election Day. As Dana Carvey used to say when imitating the current president's father: "not gonna happen."

1 Comments:

Blogger MoCoPolitics said...

I think David has misconstrued my point. While it is clearly necessary to junk the Diebold machines, I didn't suggest that it be done between now and Election Day. I simply said that it was a travesty that Ehrlich was on the right side of an issue that Mike Miller and his cronies have been completely intransigent, not to mention wrong, about.

A week earlier, in fact, I actually said that now is not the time to fire all the elections administrators because of the short period of time between now and the general election in November.

So disagree with me if you must, but at least accurately state my position (he said with a smile).

9/25/2006 03:23:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home