Thursday, August 10, 2006

Donkey

Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006
To:VoteRuben@aol.com
Dear Senator Ruben:

Thank you for making my vote in the Democratic primary for Maryland Senate in District 20 easy.

I'm a Silver Spring Democrat and I always vote. I've voted for you in the past and appreciate your long years in Annapolis. Given that I have not seen much of you in the last few years, have seen little real accomplishment from you on issues (like education, health care, transportation, and the general quality of life) that matter to me and to my neighbors, I'd been wondering if you were going to wind up your tenure in the legislature.

And then an energetic candidate with practical experience and a willingness to do something about the challenges facing our community and our state started running for Senate -- Jamie Raskin.

So you can imagine that I've been torn over what to do. I've gone to see you both speak and even debate. While I thought Raskin made some strong points and has the ability to do a good job, I listened when you talked about the value of experience and promised to actually get something done.

Last night my ambivalence over who to vote for disappeared and I have you to thank for that.

You see, I got your nasty little mailing accusing Jamie Raskin of all kinds of awful things. You should be ashamed of yourself!

What happened to honesty? What happened to decency? You can't pretend to be the good guy when you act like this. And you can't pretend to be a stateswoman when you stoop so low to win.

And you can't have my vote.

I've decided that we need a change. I'm voting for Jamie Raskin on September 12. So I ask my neighbors to join me in voting for a change and working for a change, for real leadership that we can be proud of. Vote Raskin!

Sincerely,

Sara Matthews
Silver Spring

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

This blog is great. Is there a way to subscribe with RSS feed or something?

8/10/2006 05:56:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steph, We'll look into it.

All, I think the folowing from the Wash Times get to the heart of it:

"One of Maryland's hardest-fought local primary races has taken an ugly turn."

""It's a complete smear," said Marlana Valdez, chairwoman of the Raskin
campaign. "This is ... one of the most negative and deceitful campaign
tactics Montgomery County has seen in decades.""

Kind of takes the fun out of politics, and the idealism out of those of us who want to make Maryland a better place.

"She has demanded an apology from Mrs. Ruben..."

8/15/2006 11:49:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home