Monday, November 13, 2006

Michael Steele: Pro-Bamboozlement

(Cross-posted at The Old Line.)

Thomas Nephew picks up this comment from Michael Steele about the fake sample ballots the Republicans had out-of-state homeless people pass out in African-American areas of Maryland:
I just have to laugh at that. This is something Democrats have done to each other for a long time.
If true, a despicable comment. After a campaign in which Steele made his race his chief selling point to African-Americans, he would condone a scheme that so obviously takes African-Americans for fools, and then laugh it off? Well, if he wants to become head of the Republican National Committee, I say let him: he'll fit right in. And let's not forget that this isn't the first time Steele and Bob Ehrlich have bamboozled the homeless in this way.

Did anyone else hear the radio program Steele was on when he made the comment? Is it possible to get an audio clip of it?

2 Comments:

Blogger Thomas Nephew said...

I've dug around and found that Steele's remark was made in response to Donna Brazile (not a caller as I first thought) on the "Washington Journal" CSPAN radio talk show of Sunday, 11/12; Ms. Brazile's comment begins at around 24:40 minutes into the segment, (may require RealPlayer upgrade). The precise Steele quote (emphasis added):

Again, I have to laugh at that because I, I find that that's somewhat amusing that that's the same tactic that Democrats have used in previous campaigns against eachother and I borrowed from that, one, two, I don't find that nowhere nearly as offensive as the, the signs that went up around my county calling me a "Clarence Thomas", that we have to reject the "Clarence Thomas" Michael Steele.

(He used the "air quotes" gesture as he said Clarence Thomas.)

11/13/2006 11:02:00 AM  
Blogger OnBackground said...

Push polls and more: http://www.tnr.com/doc.mhtml?i=w061030&s=judis110106

11/13/2006 12:08:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home