Saturday, October 21, 2006

O'Malley is Outstanding in Ocean City - Day 2 of the Teachers Convention

Martin O'Malley is one of the best politicians I've ever seen. I mean, I support what he stands for, and I like the challenges he took on as Mayor of Baltimore, but there's more than that. The guy just exudes charisma. It permeates every room he's in, even the cavernous Ocean City Convention Center. It gets inside you and inspires you in a way that most politicians could never dream of doing. It's just like what Barack Obama has, that indefinable something that can make a person great. And it's one more reason why O'Malley is going to stomp Ehrlich in November.
Ben Cardin spoke to us today also, and I gotta tell you, the Congressman has come a long way. The first time I saw him speak, back in January or February, I remember thinking that I could tape that speech and keep it in case I ever had sleeping problems. But now, he gets people to stand and applaud on his clincher lines. I think Moco is right and the SUSA poll is way off, but even if it's not, here's why I'm confident about the senate race: Cardin always took Steele down on the issues, and as he's developed a more charismatic campaign persona in his speeches and ads he's begun to undermine the only real advantage Steele has - that nice guy image. Until all that's left is a guy who likes puppies.
Anthony Brown has also come a long way - not that he didn't have an inborn talent for politics. But I've been more impressed with him every time I've seen him. Win or lose, Brown's got a huge future in Maryland politics.
All in all, I'm feeling pretty pumped up about November 7. But I'll tell you this: for the last two cycles, I've gone into election night confident about Democratic chances, and both times I've ended the night sorely disappointed. It's become a tradition, that election night depression and the week-long scowl that follows. But this time, this time I'm feeling good. Only problem is, if we win, I won't really know how to act afterwards.

6 Comments:

Blogger howie said...

I'm glad to see this today. When there is little new news, the conservative drumbeat and negative ads seem a little louder and this rather pessimistic Dem begins to waver in his belief that O'Malley (and Cardin, for that matter) can actually win.

On a day when Bobby's camp is leaking to their media friends that their internals show "a tightening" and that they plan a new "devastating" ad featuring the former police commissioner-Daniel, not Norris (even Ehrlich doesn't possess that much gall)-your post gives me hope that O'Malley's retail abilities can continue to offset the wholesale political advantages in ads and media support that the Governor possesses.

10/23/2006 12:41:00 PM  
Blogger howie said...

Chip Franklin and C4. I know I shouldn't listen, but I can't help myself.

Chip said that Ehrlich's campaign claims their internals have it at "less than 4". He quipped that O'Malley's camp doesn't share such information with him.

He and C4 then discussed a new ad to be released this week in which former commissioner Daniel, the guy who lasted 41 days before Norris took over, says that he quit the post because he knew the policing plan for the city would unfairly target African Americans.

Then Chip started questioning the mayor's intelligence and I changed the station.

10/23/2006 01:45:00 PM  
Blogger The League: Reassembled said...

Everyone's right about O'Malley's potential for future higher office. But the problem is that he has more than potential: he has ambition.

The Mayor is leaving behind Baltimore for bigger things in Annapolis without accomplishing his goals (see 1999 statements on murder, drug dealing, etc.) Who's to stay he will stick around the Governor's mansion long enough?

It is horrible that federal and statewide positions are called "higher office" when local spots are dismissed as mere stepping stones. There is so much that can be done on a local level. Unfortunately, our best and our brightest buy into the "higher office" mindset and so don't work where they can be most effective for social and economic change.

10/23/2006 02:26:00 PM  
Blogger howie said...

Nick,

I remember the Dawsons' tragic story. I'm inclined to think this won't work because Bob's been doing this for months without much movement in the race. Still, there might be a tipping point at which the public decides that the amount of mud slung creates a picture of Martin that they just don't like. A preponderance of the evidence standard, kind of.

I don't know if either Daniel or the Dawsons can be that point, especially since the two stories are somewhat in conflict with each other.

On the other issue of ambition, I think it's a little unfair to criticize O'Malley for trying for statewide office after seven years as mayor. The job's not finished; but it won't be after 107 years, either.

Plus, I can't help but wonder if Bob would sit tight if he won reelection and a Senate seat were somehow available to him in a couple of years.*

*-Yes, I know Babs' seat isn't up until 2010, when we'd be electing Bobby's successor anyway. I'm just speculating what if there were another office Bob could go for in 2008 (VEEP, maybe?). I think he'd do it, myself.

10/23/2006 04:06:00 PM  
Blogger The League: Reassembled said...

Mikulski plans to seek reelection in 2010

10/23/2006 05:05:00 PM  
Blogger howie said...

TL:R,

My point was simply that O'Malley's foes use this ambition charge as a weapon against him. I think Bob, too, has ambition. In this state, he just has fewer oportunities.

If O'Malley does win, maybe Bob can move to the city, get elected mayor, and show us how it's done. ;)

10/23/2006 11:04:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home